Friday, 24 February 2017
For news about CAUL and its activities, and those external to, but of immediate interest to CAUL, see the link to News and Events.
See also blogs from CAUL's advisory committees:
This page is for additional news about higher education and research, nationally and internationally, and the world of libraries in higher education and their wider environment. See also the CAUL Newsletter.
24 February, 2017
- Adams Becker, S., Cummins, M., Davis, A., Freeman, A., Hall Giesinger, C., and Ananthanarayanan, V. (2017). NMC Horizon Report: 2017 Higher Education Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium. (US)
- Fair Use/Fair Dealing Week [20-24 February] is an annual celebration of the important doctrines of fair use and fair dealing. It is designed to highlight and promote the opportunities presented by fair use and fair dealing, celebrate successful stories, and explain these doctrines. Association of Research Libraries (US)
20 February, 2017
- The Draft 2016 National Research Infrastructure Roadmap was released for comment on 5 December 2016. 172 submissions were received by the department in response to the Draft Roadmap. Public submissions are available on the Department’s website. The CAUL response to the draft Roadmap was submitted 16th Jan 2017.
14 February, 2017
13 February, 2017
- CAUL was one of 47 organisations (including ALIA, Google, Facebook and Twitter) to sign a joint letter to the Minister for Communications the Hon. Mitch Fifield asking for action to be taken on copyright reforms recommended by the Productivity Commission. The letter was coordinated by the Australian Digital Alliance (ADA) and published on 13th February 2017.
- Institute of Physics (IOP) Publishing and the Council of Australian University Librarians (CAUL) have announced a new agreement, covering 31 universities in Australia and New Zealand. The new model is based on an institution’s science-category full time equivalent students, and weighted against levels of study and research.
- 'My thoughts on revolutionising scholarly publishing in the digital age', an article on FromMelbin about academic publishing by Mal Booth, University Librarian at UTS.
10 February, 2017
8 February, 2017
6 February, 2017
2 February, 2017
28 January, 2017
20 January, 2017
12 January, 2017
10 January, 2017
7 January, 2017
6 January, 2017
2 January, 2017
23 December, 2016
20 December, 2016
- Productivity Commission. Intellectual Property Arrangements. The Australian Government has asked the Productivity Commission to undertake a 12 month public inquiry into Australia's intellectual property system. The original issues paper was released 7 October 2015. (AU)
19 December, 2016
- Cutting university infrastructure – not so clever. 19 Dec 2016. "Closing the $3.7 billion Education Investment Fund (EIF) would make it harder for Australia to create new jobs, generate research breakthroughs and compete for international students – our third largest export." Universities Australia (AU)
17 December, 2016
- Higher Education Infrastructure Working Group. Final Report 2015. Released 5 December, 2016. PhillipsKPA for Department of Education and Training.
- (Terms of Reference See p.61, Appendix I of the Final Report) “The Working Group is not a review but it may elect to meet with, and seek, the advice of stakeholders from time to time.” Established May 2014 by the Minister for Education and Training. “The Working Group will be supported by the Research and Higher Education Infrastructure Branch of the Department of Education.”
- Review of Research Infrastructure. The Minister for Education and Training established the Research Infrastructure Review to advise the Australian Government on future research infrastructure provision and requirements to support research. The Review was expected to deliver its findings in mid-2015. Mr Philip Marcus Clark AM (Chairman). (4/2/15)
14 December, 2016
- Across the Great Divide: Findings and Possibilities for Action from the 2016 Summit Meeting of Academic Libraries and University Presses with Administrative Relationships (P2L). Mary Rose Muccie, Joe Lucia, Elliott Shore, Clifford Lynch, Peter Berkery. University Press and Library Summit Releases White Paper, Recommendations. Published December 2016 (US)
- 2017 April 10-12 Harrogate, England UKSG 40th Annual Conference and Exhibition. Organised by UKSG http://www.uksg.org/event/conference17
- 2017 August 15-17 Berlin, Germany Digital Humanities - Opportunities and Risks: Connecting Libraries and Research. Hosted by BBAW (Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities), DARIAH-EU (Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities in Europe), DINI (Deutsche Initiative für Netzwerk-Information/German Initiative for Network Information), IFLA, LIBER (Ligue des Bibliothèques Européennes de Recherche – Association of European Research Libraries) and the Library of the Humboldt University Berlin https://dh-libraries.sciencesconf.org/
7 December, 2016
6 December, 2016
30 November, 2016
23 November, 2016
22 November, 2016
- Medical Research Future Fund. As required by the Act, the Australian Medical Research Advisory Board has finalised the inaugural Australian Medical Research and Innovation Strategy 2016-2021 (the Strategy) and the accompanying Australian Medical Research and Innovation Priorities 2016-2018 (the Priorities). These documents were registered with the Federal Register of Legislative Instruments on 9 November 2016 and subsequently announced by the Minister for Health and Aged Care on the same day. (AU)
3 November, 2016
See more at What Was New in 2016 ....