Monday, 27 February 2017
For news about CAUL and its activities, and those external to, but of immediate interest to CAUL, see the link to News and Events.
See also blogs from CAUL's advisory committees:
This page is for additional news about higher education and research, nationally and internationally, and the world of libraries in higher education and their wider environment. See also the CAUL Newsletter.
27 February, 2017
- Visions for Australian Tertiary Education [pdf], a collection of writing by leading education researchers on their visions for the future of the sector, Edited By Richard James, Sarah French And Paula Kelly, published by the Melbourne Centre for the Study of Higher Education (CSHE). ISBN: 978-0-7340-5341-1 (AU)
- 2017 November 29-30 Melbourne TEQSA Conference. Organised by TEQSA (Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency) http://www.teqsa.gov.au/news-publications/events
- 2017 June 23-25 Canberra New Librarians Symposium 8 (NSL8). Organised by ALIA (Australian Library & Information Association) http://nls8.com/registration/
26 February, 2017
- What is Fair? Speech [by] Deputy Chair, [Productivity Commission] Karen Chester, presented a speech on copyright to the Australian Digital Alliance Forum in Canberra on 24 February 2017. (AU)
24 February, 2017
- Adams Becker, S., Cummins, M., Davis, A., Freeman, A., Hall Giesinger, C., and Ananthanarayanan, V. (2017). NMC Horizon Report: 2017 Higher Education Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium. (US)
- Fair Use/Fair Dealing Week [20-24 February] is an annual celebration of the important doctrines of fair use and fair dealing. It is designed to highlight and promote the opportunities presented by fair use and fair dealing, celebrate successful stories, and explain these doctrines. Association of Research Libraries (US)
20 February, 2017
- The Draft 2016 National Research Infrastructure Roadmap was released for comment on 5 December 2016. 172 submissions were received by the department in response to the Draft Roadmap. Public submissions are available on the Department’s website. The CAUL response to the draft Roadmap was submitted 16th Jan 2017.
14 February, 2017
13 February, 2017
- CAUL was one of 47 organisations (including ALIA, Google, Facebook and Twitter) to sign a joint letter to the Minister for Communications the Hon. Mitch Fifield asking for action to be taken on copyright reforms recommended by the Productivity Commission. The letter was coordinated by the Australian Digital Alliance (ADA) and published on 13th February 2017.
- Institute of Physics (IOP) Publishing and the Council of Australian University Librarians (CAUL) have announced a new agreement, covering 31 universities in Australia and New Zealand. The new model is based on an institution’s science-category full time equivalent students, and weighted against levels of study and research.
- 'My thoughts on revolutionising scholarly publishing in the digital age', an article on FromMelbin about academic publishing by Mal Booth, University Librarian at UTS.
10 February, 2017
8 February, 2017
6 February, 2017
2 February, 2017
28 January, 2017
12 January, 2017
10 January, 2017
7 January, 2017
6 January, 2017
2 January, 2017
See more at What Was New in 2016 ....