ULANZ Information for Borrowers
Wednesday, 16 December 2015
About ULANZ (University Libraries of Australia and New Zealand)
ULANZ is a Library borrowing scheme that allows staff and students of Australian and New Zealand universities* to borrow in person from any other participating university library. The scheme is a cooperative arrangement between CAUL (Council of Australian University Librarians) and CONZUL (Council of New Zealand University Librarians).
*The University of Auckland is not participating in this scheme.
Current staff and students of participating universities are eligible to join. Membership is personal and not transferable.
Some universities that provide courses (such as enabling courses or single unit subjects etc) will allow students to borrow from their institution but may not indemnify the students for borrowing at other ULANZ libraries. If in doubt contact your home institution. Students of Open Universities Australia are not automatically eligible to enrol in participating libraries, and are advised to seek assistance from their home libraries.
If you are not currently employed in an Australian or New Zealand university, for example, a visiting scholar, proof of affiliation with an Australian or New Zealand university will be required.
- Registration is done directly at the host institution and is a simple process. There is no need to contact your own university library. The host library will supply you with a borrowing card, usually on the spot during weekday business hours.
- You will need to provide a photo ID as well as proof of current enrolment (students) or current employment (staff) from your home university . This could be student or staff ID card from your home institution, enrolment advice or other proof from your university.
- Some libraries may charge a fee for registration (this is indicated with an asterisk on the list of participating libraries).
- Registration is for the current year (no matter when you joined the scheme during the year) and is valid until 28 February of the year following registration.
- Proof of continued enrolment or employment is required each year for your registration to be renewed.
Borrowing conditions and services offered
Membership privileges such as what and how many items may be borrowed, length of loans, and access to references services and to the internet will vary, and depend on the rules of the host library. Please check their ULANZ details on the website of the institution you wish to visit.
Requests for inter-library loans and document delivery are not part of this scheme, and should be made to the library of your home university.
WAGUL Services for Reciprocal Clients with Disabilities and Medical Conditions (West Australian university libraries, 16/12/15)
Return of loans
You must return material to the library from which it was borrowed.
Penalties and fines for the late return of material are according to the local rules of the lending library. Lost or damaged items must be reported to the host library, which may impose penalties or require payment.
If fines or invoices are not paid, details of overdue material or fines will be sent to the home library, which may impose penalties (blocks and sanctions) as that library has indemnified its users to be able to participate in the ULANZ scheme.